Tuesday, January 6, 2009

new year

i wrote you a lullaby that takes place
in one single time.
a moment of song that can't be right or wrong.
you will listen, and you will care.
even if i am not there.
life will pause for you, angel of grace.

please say that you still believe in forever,
in some sort of happiness.
you will sleep quietly,
your life will be fair.
even if i am not there.


------------------------


in the morning i am a shadow,
a ghost of myself.
for some time now i've searched for you
in the rain and snow of a suburban frown,
the whites and grays of a university town.
you do not look for me.
and if you did, you wouldn't find me.
i have quit my odes,
thrown out my tributes,
retired from the endless dedication
that was my life.
i've no one to dedicate to.
in the morning i am a fallen soldier,
who's gently been hacked in two.

No comments: