Saturday, January 23, 2010

4

I am a cloud hanging effortlessly, or so it seems, in an unopened sky. The perfect observer, an innocent bystander. Meaningless migration from one horizon to the next. And now I am raining. Thick, heavy drops that become oceans on the earth. Kids splash in me, lovers swim in me. They remove their clothes and see each other with wide eyes, exposing themselves. Suddenly I am a pelican, rising and diving into salty pools to get fish. I have no fish in my mouth, though. Pelicans don’t have mouths. But I have a mouth… because I am a person. A human being. Just a regular boy. I don’t know what I was thinking just then. I wasn’t thinking, because that’s what you do when you’re trying to fall asleep, you stop thinking. And then strange things happen because there is no such thing as not thinking. You can’t turn yourself off, just hope for sleep to get the better of you when you let your guard down. But sleep won’t take me tonight. And that’s all I want, for this day to be over so I can wake up tomorrow and try again. And the longer I lie awake the more frustrated I become. Maybe I am the sea after all.

No comments: